Friday, January 7, 2011

Smokey’s Examination by the Vet

On New Year’s Eve Day 2010, I took my kittens Smokey and Lucky to the vet. They had both been experiencing soft and mushy stools. I suspected that they might have intestinal parasites. After having bad experiences with my previous 2 veterinarians, I decided to try the Glenview Animal Hospital since it was so close. In addition, my neighbor had told me that she took her 2 cats there and was happy with the care they provided to her cats.

After a thorough examination by the doctor, he found that my 10-month-old Persian cat Smokey had somewhat of an arrhythmia in his heart beat. First, he used a stethoscope and then took a reading using an ECG machine to confirm that he heard an arrhythmia. The doctor recommended that I take Smokey to a cardiologist for an ultrasound to determine if Smokey did, in fact, have heart disease. The closest clinic that the doctor recommended was the Veterinarian Specialty Center in Buffalo Grove, Illinois.

I had a previous experience with VSC when my cat Rusty was ill. They came up with a very expensive treatment plan with no guaranty that the cat would ever regain his health. I opted to put him to sleep since he was suffering. I have known other people that took their animals to the Veterinary Specialty Center and ended taking their animal’s home without treatment as VSC was recommending very expensive treatment plans without really knowing what they were dealing with. One breeder I know took her cat there that had blacked out and was given a very expensive treatment plan and a bill for $2,000. The breeder opted to not follow their advice and 3 years later, the cat is living and is very happy and comfortable.

I made an appointment with Dr. Kelly Wessberg and took him there for the ultrasound so that we could determine if Smokey had any heart disease. After the exam, I was informed that the heart had no disease and was structurally sound. On the doctor’s report for the cardiovascular exam, it was noted that there was no murmur and that the rhythm was regular during auscultation (examination with a stethoscope). It was also noted that rhythm was regular at this time. It was also noted on the report that there was normal cardiac size and function. See the comments in the attached report. There was also no fluid in the heart cavity.

The doctor did mention that there was frequent VPC’s seen during the ultrasound examination. When the doctor and I discussed the results, they did not even have the courtesy to do so in an exam room. They gave me the results out in the lobby and recommended that I start the cat on Sotolol and then bring him back for another ECG. The doctor verbally said that he might have an underlying infection causing the arrhythmia. I questioned why I would start him on Sotolol when it could be an infection causing the arrhythmia. When the doctor realized I was challenging her, she became very defensive and made a verbal statement that my cat could die suddenly if I didn’t put him on the treatment. I informed the doctor that I would not torture my cat with excessive medical treatments and spend thousands of dollars on treatment only to make him suffer more. If he was meant to die, that is what was in the plan for him and I could accept that.

In the report, see the additional note section where they include items I discussed that have absolutely nothing to do with the diagnosis of the animal. They were doing the same thing to me that they did to 2 other people I know that have been there. I did the same thing: I walked away. When I checked out, they added an additional charge of $45.90 for 2 electrocardiogram leads that was not on the original patient care plan and authorization. I never authorized that charge and insisted they remove it from the bill. I would never bring an animal back to these people for any type of treatment or evaluation. The tactics they use to force treatments that are not necessary are ridiculous. They could see no heart disease during the test. Basically, what it boils down to is my cat probably has a benign arrhythmia. Why would I torture him with all that medical treatment when he is perfectly happy?

Smokey and Lucky did have Giardia. They have taken the treatment and are rid of the parasites!



























































No comments:

Post a Comment